'Advertising & Marketing assessment learner response'

 1) Type up your feedback in full (you don't need to write the mark and grade if you want to keep this confidential). For the EBI (write down each bullet point for each question)


WWW: Jasneet, some knowledge and understanding of textual analysis for the unseen product analysis. An attempt at explaining post-colonial ideas.

EBI: See my comments next to each question.

LR: Complete LR blog task.


2) Read the whole mark scheme for this assessment carefully (find this on your class Google Classroom). Identify at least one potential point that you missed out on for each question in the assessment.
Q1) 
One potential point from the mark scheme that I could have included is the use of the brand logo. I could have explained that the logo uses a serif font and a simple, clean style to suggest tradition and luxury, and that placing it in the bottom corner shows the advert is more about the feel of the brand than selling a specific product.

Q2) One point I missed was that the Armani advert reflects third-wave feminism because the women are shown as active and sexually confident rather than passive. I also could have compared this with the Score advert by explaining how it reflects the cultural context of the 1960s through hegemonic masculinity and changing gender roles.
Q3) One point I missed was that the Sephora advert challenges racial essentialism by showing a wide range of Black identities, ages, genders and beauty styles instead of presenting Black people as all the same. I also could have discussed Gilroy’s ideas of othering, double consciousness and cultural conviviality to support my judgement

3) Look at your answer and the mark scheme for Question 1 (Diamonds advert unseen text). List three examples of media terminology or theory that you could have included in your answer.


I would use action codes to explain how the paparazzi-style photo makes me curious about the story behind the advert. I would use the male gaze to describe how the woman is posed just to be looked at by the viewer. Finally, I would use the term low-key lighting to explain how the dark, moody look makes the brand feel expensive and fancy.





4) Look at your answer and the mark scheme for Question 2. What aspects of the cultural and historical context for the Score hair cream advert do you need to revise or develop in future?

need to learn more about how the jungle setting shows the British Empire and how that made men feel powerful back then. I also need to study the laws from 1967 and 1970 because they changed how men and women lived. Understanding these events helps me explain why the advert tried to make the man look so tough and manly to hide the fact that he was feeling insecure.




5) Now look over your mark, comments and the mark scheme for Question 3 - the 9-mark question on Sephora 'Black Beauty is Beauty'. List any postcolonial terminology you could have added to your answer here and link this to a moment in the advert.

I could use the term cultural conviviality to describe how the kitchen and salon scenes show people of different backgrounds living together happily. I could use double consciousness to explain how the advert tries to show the real Black experience instead of the fake images that white media usually shows. Finally, I could talk about racial essentialism during the 12 close-up shots; I would explain that these shots prove that Black beauty is actually very different and diverse, not all the same.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre:Blog tasks

Blog feedback and learner response

Blog tasks: Ideology